Thursday, August 8, 2013

Thankfulness Put Into Words.

Remember that first time you go to youth group as a teen and you're like scared to death? Ya I remember that. I was one of 'those'. Remember thinking, "Oh I hope I make friends and that my youth leaders are nice." Well, from the first time I went to youth group at UGBC the youth leaders made me feel right at home. They were so welcoming. 

I remember the first night at youth group(ya I know I pretty much repeated myself there), people were calling the youth leaders Randy and Beth. I'm thinking like wow that's different. That must mean their pretty close and comfortable with that. 
That's for sure!

They would make you feel comfortable, welcomed, and make you laugh. When you need someone to talk to, they always make time for you. Whether it's 5 minutes or an hour. You can email [facebook/text] them for anything, and they'll be there to answer you and show you kindness. I remember numerous times where I may be down about something or whatever and by the end of Wednesday night my mood would totally be changed. They always have a smile on their face. Randy would most always have some sort of story or something to make you laugh/smile.

There are numerous memories I have of them giving encouragement. For one, It was freshman year, and we were working at a camp as our youth work missions trip. At first it was really hard because I grew up going to Camp Calvary in PA all my life, and having my best friends there, and when I was at a different camp with different people it was so hard. I remember just sitting at the table crying, and Beth came over asking what was wrong and just sat down for awhile talking to me. It totally helped. I was able to let it all out and later talk to God about it asking for strength to get through it. It was such an encouraging moment.

Another one happened a few summers ago. I was really discouraged about something, and both Randy and Beth pulled me aside asking what was up and telling me it was okay. I was probably being stubborn thinking no I'll be ok don't worry about me. But no, they sat down with me for the longest time praying with me and showing me a passage of scripture that has been such an encouragement to me since that night.
Philippians 4:6-7(NIV) Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
It was such a blessing and encouragement to me. They told me everything would be alright and God is in control of all that happens. It was just a huge moment in my life that I would never forget.

I read in a devotional book a few years ago that mentioned it's a good thing to have a woman who is older than you to be like a mentor. Someone that you can go to and get advice on stuff or just to talk to. If you ever need someone, Beth is the one to go to. She is great to talk to. She will be there to not only listen, but also give advice when needed. She can make you laugh when you least expect it. The best time is when you're in her car with the sun roof open, music blaring, and singing on the top of your lungs late at night. OR having people hanging out of every door and window in her car driving through a camp. Oh but don't ask how to spell 'birthday'....she may forget the "r". :) Either way, she's such a fun person to be with. Such a good godly woman to be encouraged by.

Randy, well if you love fishing he's the one to fish with. He's pretty good...so I heard. He's also very competitive. Apples to Apples, card games..ya it's very entertaining when you play with him. Don't even get started on Duck Dynasty. CRAZY. But with that said, he is a very encouraging godly youth leader. I don't know how he finds time to not only work 5 days a week, but then each Wednesday come speak to us teens. It's crazy. I've had numerous times where that night he spoke on something, and it's exactly what I needed to hear. He is just such a fun leader. Also, another great example to follow.

We do have other leaders who have been very encouraging and fun. Those 2 are the main ones who I wanted to point out that have made such a huge impact on my life and for that I am forever grateful.

Thank You so much not only Randy and Beth, but also Bryan, Sarah, Steve, Ashley, and Dave. You guys have been so encouraging over the years. I will truly miss you. God has blessed me as well as the other teens with such great leaders as you guys. Thank You again.

No comments:

Post a Comment